One of Buffalo's oldest places of worship, St. Joseph's has been the main facility of Buffalo's Catholic Diocese since it opened in 1851. Built of gray limestone per the design of New York City architect Patrick C. Keeley, the Cathedral features three stained glass windows above the main altar, depicting the Incarnation, Redemption and Resurrection, which were gifts to Buffalo's Bishop Timon from Ludwig, King of Bavaria. All 5,300 pipes of the haunting 1876 Hook & Hastings Centennial Organ resound through the structure and summon keepers of the faith to worship. Services are held at varying times.
Originally constructed in 1849, St Paul's is not only one of Buffalo's most beautiful churches, it's one of the oldest buildings in the whole city. After a fire in 1888, the Cathedral was rebuilt, and is still providing weekly services to its congregation. The peaceful Cathedral Park setting is also a favorite spot for downtown workers seeking a shady spot to eat their lunches.
A tribute to the vision of Father Nelson H. Baker, this church was the second in the U.S. to receive a basilica designation in 1926. Located in Lackawanna, the basilica's copper-topped dome and twin bell towers can be seen for miles. The church was built reminiscent of the 15th-16th century Renaissance-style, featuring a French Baroque interior. There is a gift shop where you can buy books, crucifixes, mugs and Father Baker's most popular statue of Our Lady of Victory.