Imposta posizione attuale
The spectacular facade of St.Paul's Church is a landmark and also a unique anomaly in Frankfurt. Paulskirche (St. Paul's Church) became famous not as a church, but as a meeting place. Built to replace the Barfüßerkirche, it was opened in 1833. The first freely-elected German parliament sat here in 1848. It met 99 times and passed 59 articles which are still part of the German constitution today. Destroyed in an air-raid in 1944, the church was rebuilt immediately after World War II as a memorial to the aftermath of war. The hall is now a venue for important events such as the annual German Peace Prize ceremony and the City of Frankfurt's Goethe Prize awards.
Frankfurt Town Hall, as it stands today, is made up of a melee of different buildings. The first buildings to be constructed here were the Zum Römer House and the next-door guest-house, Goldener Schwan in 1405. At the beginning of the 20th Century, two building complexes (north and south) were erected next to Paulsplatz and were joined by a bridge. Designed in a Renaissance and Baroque architectural style, these buildings fit in well with the earlier buildings. They are decorated with reliefs depicting local events, such as the harvesting of cider apples. One particular draw is the exquisitely decorated Kaisersaal (Emperor's Hall) in the Rathaus (city hall). The Rathaus is the seat of the Mayor of Frankfurt.
The Alte Nikolaikirche (Old Nikolai Church) can be found in the southern section of Frankfurt's Römerberg for centuries. Initially designed as a chapel for the neighboring Stauferpfalz Palace, the church was later used for mass and prayer by the town council. In the 15th Century, the building underwent changes and the watchtower was made higher to enable watchmen to signal to ships on the river from the top of the tower. Members of the council could also watch the festivities on the Römerberg from the extended rooftop. A hundred years later, this place of worship was turned into a warehouse and silo. Today, the facade of the late Gothic, doubled-naved church is painted in its original colors of white and red.
In the 14th Century, a rich Frankfurt patrician erected a chapel next to the city walls. The chapel was later extended into a Gothic hall with a bell tower called Liebfrauenkirche. During the 18th Century, the inside of the church received ornate rococo fittings, and during the 19th Century, the Three Kings portal was given a vestibule. After severe damage in the War, the whole place was rebuilt in 1954. A wooden roof has now replaced the Gothic original, and from the original interior, only the figures on the altar remain.
Built between 1460 and 1520, this historic monastery is worth a visit for its architecture alone. Yet there is much more to see than just thick brick walls. The refectory is considered to be one of the most beautiful Renaissance-period buildings in the city, and Joerg Ratgeb's frescos in the hallway rank among the most important wall-paintings in the whole of Europe. After the last monks (of the Karmeliter Order) left the monastery in 1803, it was turned into a military barracks. Nowadays, Karmeliterkloster is home to the Museum of Early History, the Institute of Urban History and a public art gallery.
In the Middle Ages, this steep-roofed Gothic building was the center of Frankfurt's rag trade and was the place where cloth was stored, weighed and measured. At the outer wall you can still see the measuring cylinder used at the time, known as the Frankfurter Elle. The two-story house was built towards the end of the 14th Century, reputedly by the famous architect Madern Gerthener. After destruction during World War II, it was rebuilt in 1980 and now hosts an art gallery (the Kommunale Galerie) which shows rotating exhibitions by contemporary artists.
Situated near Main River, the Imperial Cathedral of Saint Bartholomew is one of the most historically rich monuments in the city. Its Gothic style structure has become a part of Frankfurt's skyline. With its origins dating back to 7th Century BCE, the church is steeped in Roman history. The cathedral is renowned for being a coronation church for Roman emperors from the years 1562 to 1792. Withstanding the Second World War, the church was rebuilt in the 1970s. Housing several relics and prized possessions, the sculpture by Hans Backoffen depicting a scene of Christ's crucifixion is a masterpiece belonging to the early Renaissance period. While its status as an imperial church declined after the Roman Empire's fall, it became a beacon of national integrity after the 19th Century.
Spanning across 2.93 acres (1.19 hectares), the Old Jewish Cemetery has tombstones dating back to the 13th-century. It was last used in 1828 and is the second oldest of its kind in Germany. It is situated near the Jewish Museum and had more than 4,000 of its graves destroyed during Hitler's era, yet has many that are still intact. The cemetery is now part of a memorial which contains the names of 11,134 Frankfurt Jews who were murdered by the Nazis.
Frankfurt's Schaumainkai is a centrally located street in the city and runs along the south side of the Main. It is home to a number of museums including the Städel Museum which houses an impressive collection of modern and contemporary art. It is also the site of the Museum Embankment Festival which happens every year around August. A flea market also gathers on this very street. You will find all the vintage, arty and many more collectibles you can explore, that you would wish to own. Call ahead for more details.
The Alte Oper or the Old Opera House still looks as magnificent and imposing as it did when it was inaugurated by Kaiser Wilhelm I in 1880. The building was financed by affluent Frankfurt citizens and was designed in an Italian Renaissance style by Richard Lucae. Destroyed in a 1944 air raid, it was rebuilt later and renamed the 'Old Opera Concert and Conference Center'. The main auditorium, the Grosser Saal with seating for about 2500 people, is the central part of the building and is used for concerts and musical extravaganzas. Smaller rooms can be hired for functions, conferences, corporate events, receptions, product launches and so on. Visitors can obtain refreshments in the cafe, the restaurant or the bistro.
Situated in the Westend precinct of Frankfurt, the Grüneburgpark is one of the largest and most loved parks in Frankfurt. The old masters like Wolfgang Goethe would seek solace in this lush greenery and seek inspiration here. Grüneburg which literally means Green Castle, was once the site of a castle in the 14th century but as time passed, it went on to become a 29 hectare green space for the public. One of the focal points of the park is the Korean Garden, which is segregated into four areas symbolizing the four seasons. Because of the park's proximity to the business district and educational institutions, a lot of students and businessmen come here to unwind after work.
Situated at the edge of Bornheim, this popular park is a summertime favorite with Frankfurt locals and tourists alike. The park was formerly an estate belonging to the Rotschild family, and while it it now features newer elements like a waterslide, a playground and a climbing tower, the charm of its days past still lingers.