Imposta posizione attuale
Frankfurt Town Hall, as it stands today, is made up of a melee of different buildings. The first buildings to be constructed here were the Zum Römer House and the next-door guest-house, Goldener Schwan in 1405. At the beginning of the 20th Century, two building complexes (north and south) were erected next to Paulsplatz and were joined by a bridge. Designed in a Renaissance and Baroque architectural style, these buildings fit in well with the earlier buildings. They are decorated with reliefs depicting local events, such as the harvesting of cider apples. One particular draw is the exquisitely decorated Kaisersaal (Emperor's Hall) in the Rathaus (city hall). The Rathaus is the seat of the Mayor of Frankfurt.
Hauptwache is popular with the locals and the tourists alike. With a history that dates back to the 18th Century, this open space has stood the testimony of time. Hauptwache means the "main guardhouse" in English and a brown baroque structure is the focal point of this plaza. The Hauptwache has hosted the beautiful flower market. So when in Frankfurt, Hauptwache is a place that just cannot be missed.
The Alte Brücke (Old Bridge) was the first and only bridge in Frankfurt until 1869. Although a bridge was first constructed on this site in 1222, there must have already been some form of crossing the river Main as this was where Karl the Great managed to escape with his troops. Throughout the century the bridge, which formed part of an important trade route, was destroyed and rebuilt many times. In 1945 the bridge was blown up and was temporarily repaired and later rebuilt and renovated. On the north side of the bridge there is a memorial dating from the 14th Century in the form of a crucifix, marking the place where criminals were thrown to their death into the river.
This circular tower was built as part of the Medieval wall which encircled the city. Beginning in the 15th Century, Frankfurt's citizens tried to protect themselves with high walls, water barriers and watchtowers like the Sachsenhäuser Warte in the south of the city, or the Bockenheimer Warte and the Friedberger Warte in the north and west. Approximately 60 towers surrounded the city to protect its citizens from all kinds of dangers from the countryside. The bistro E.T. im Turm is also located in the tower.
In 1990, this second footbridge was built over the river Main to connect the district of Sachsenhausen with the city. Holbeinsteg, a modern suspension bridge, was constructed by a well-known Frankfurt architect and hangs from red and blue cables which, in turn, hang from two pairs of pylons. The views from the bridge are great: in one direction you have a great view of the museums, and in the other, you can marvel at the impressive Frankfurt skyline. But be careful - the bridge sways!
The first people to settle on this piece of land in the middle of Bornheim were the Romans. Several centuries later, a castle was built on top of the ruins, although this was later turned into a farm. The land was bought by the Rothschild family, a wealthy family of bankers. In the 19th Century, they began to erect a palace on the grounds. The palace didn't survive the next century of turmoil, but the lovely tree-lined park did. A favorite haunt for families with children, the park now contains a fountain with plunge pool.
This monumental construction was built at the end of the 1920s by Hans Pölzig. At the time, it housed the headquarters of the chemical concern IG Farben, who later disgraced themselves working for the Nazis. The 240-meter-long building is designed in the neo-classical style that became so popular in the Nazi era. The IG-Farbenhaus was taken over by the US Army in 1945 and used as headquarters for Commander in Chief Eisenhower. After the American military left, the complex stood empty for several years before being handed over to Frankfurt University.
This community garden is an oasis of green in the city center and a hotbed of urban gardening and sustainable practices education. One of Frankfurt’s largest urban garden projects, the garden hosts hand-on workshops, outdoor readings, and concerts throughout the summer and the rest of the year. Workshops cover everything from building growing beds and crates to basic gardening techniques and nutrition.
Busy with shoppers and tourists, Berger Street is one of the busiest streets in Frankfurt. Shopping in this part of the city is fun, as there are plenty of options to choose from. From individual stores to branches of popular franchises, no matter what you are looking for, you will find it at this prime shopping district. Local weekly markets like the Bornheimer Wochenmarkt keeps this place abuzz. Barbecue restaurants and bistros too attract many patrons and other visitors. Other shops and service providers like barber shops and pharmacies are also located along this long stretch of road.
This gem of a baroque garden behind the Bolongaro Palace is the only one of its kind that exists in Frankfurt. Of particular note are the fountain with a statue of Neptune, a Turkish chapel, and an expansive terraced garden. The garden, parts of which run along the Main River, has been restored several times since it was built in the late 18th century, and remains a historical testament to early Baroque city planning.
This place of worship is the oldest church in Frankfurt am Main. First erected in the 7th Century, a triple-nave basilica with a T-shaped ground plan and sandstone columns was added in the 9th Century. During the 15th Century, the building (then used as a parish church) slowly began to take the shape we know today, with its Gothic chancel, three chapels with fan vaults and a main portal. The column arcades from the original nave remain intact.