L'arco è un luogo di memoria, di avvenimenti di oggi e di celebrazioni. La lista dei morti è da pelle d'oca. Mentre le macchine che girano attorno al monumento sono terrificanti! Trovandosi in linea retta tra il Louvre e il Arco de La Défense, il monumento funge da collegamento tra il passato e il presente e offre una vista panoramica straordinaria. Un punto di riferimento realmente impressionante, alto 50 metri e largo 45, Parigi non sarebbe la stessa senza! Entrata EUR7.
Completed in 1989, Louvre Pyramid marks the entrance to the world-famous Louvre Museum. The stunning architectural monument was dreamed up by Chinese-American architect I.M. Pei who is also famous for designing the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, the east building of the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C., and the Miho Museum in Japan. The pyramid reached a height of 21.6 meters (71 feet) and is flanked by other, smaller pyramids. Built completely out of glass panes held together by metallic poles, the pyramid has become one of the most recognizable and iconic structures not only in Paris, but also globally. A gateway to one of the biggest art museums, the Louvre Pyramid is thronged by tourists.
Originally known as Place Louis-XV, this square was constructed between 1755 and 1775 based on the design of Ange-Jacques Gabriel. Renamed Place de la Révolution in 1792, a guillotine was installed and 2800 executions took place including that of King Louis XVI. Louis-Philippe christened it Place de la Concorde in 1830. The Louqsor obelisk, a gift from the Viceroy of Egypt to King Charles X of France, has been standing in the center of the square since 1840. The 19th-Century also saw the addition of eight statues representing France's largest cities and the two fountains. The square is home to one of Paris' most prestigious hotels, the Hôtel Crillon.
Palais-Royal has a storied past, evolving from a palace for Cardinal de Richelieu to a debaucherous hideout under the leadership of Louis XIV's brother to a center for new ideas and innovative thinkers during the Age of Enlightenment. Revolutionary Camille Desmoulins solidified the role of Palais-Royal as a historic locale by gathering a crowd and planning a rebellion at the Palais arches. Today, this palace features a serene garden and hosts the Ministry for the Arts and the Council of State.
Located in the 7th arrondissement, the St Francis Xavier of the Foreign Missions Church was constructed in 1894. Its parish dates from the time when Hôtel des Invalides had just been completed, and the surrounding area was just unkempt woods. The church's facade is inspired by the Italian renaissance, and its interior rejects the Gothic style in favor of channeled columns and wide bending arcs. From time to time the church hosts choral and classical concerts.
Surrounded by shady arcades that shelter beautiful boutiques, this square, situated in the heart of the Marais, is one of Paris' unmissable sights. Place des Vosges is perfectly symmetrical, measuring 140 meters (459 feet) by 127 meters (416 feet). Stone and brick houses, whose almost identical facades are all crowned by steep slate roofs, border its quasi-rectangular shape. Designed by Henri IV, it used to be the favored sight for duels. Famous people also lived in the area, including the Cardinal de Richelieu and the writer Victor Hugo.
After ten years in the Marais area, VU’ Gallery, specialized in photography, settles in an historical site in the ninth arrondissement of Paris: Paul Delaroche Hotel. The gallery has adjustable exhibition rooms, which enable the organization of original settings, meetings and exchanges, with one exhibition every six weeks. The VU’ gallery also sells collectible prints. They have adopted the solution of authentication and traceability developed by ARTtrust for pieces of art and prints. Artists thus protect their work and their rights, and the VU’ gallery guarantees collectors the authenticity of purchased works. Moreover, a bookshop is available on the premises.
Place de l'Hotel de Ville - Esplanade de la Libération was earlier known as the Place de Grève. Records show its existence as far back as the 13th Century. It was initially used for public executions and was an emblem of the medieval regime in France. Gradually over the centuries it became a meeting place for the public. Its new name is an ode to the World War II resistance. The beautiful Hôtel de Ville de Paris (City Hall) is next to this square and the Pont d'Arcole is just a few minutes away.
At number 1-3 rue Ursins stands a very old house with a Medieval tower and windows. No doubt, you are facing a bourgeois mansion from medieval times. You may think you can feel a kind of feudal atmosphere in this street, even in this area, but not really! The architect Fernand Poullion built this incredible house in 1958: it is a patchwork of the old house that was located right here and various elements and materials collected from medieval ruins (wrought iron, stained glass windows…). The result is very confusing. The location – facing the Seine river, near Notre-Dame church and Hôtel de Ville – makes this house one of the most sought-after houses of the Capital. It is the former residence of Aga-Khan, and would be owned today by a Middle East Prince. Call +33 8 3668 3112 (Tourist Information)
In 1937, the City of Paris introduced a cultural impetus to redesign the traditional look of Paris. The Stravinsky fountain is an interpretation of Igor Stravinsky’s work, The Rite of Spring, by Jean Tinguely and his wife Niki de Saint Phalle. The Dadaist style fountain beside the Centre Pompidou displays the distinctive vision of the couple: his monochromatic lines acting as a contrast to her colorful and childlike symbolism.
Located in 4th arrondissement, Parvis Notre-Dame - place Jean-Paul-II square consists of Notre Dame de Paris's parvise. The square was originally known as place du Parvis-Notre-Dame and got its present name in 2006 as a tribute to Pope John Paul II who breathed his last in the year 2005. Its present layout is credited to Baron Haussmann who extensively remodeled the square in the bygone era.
Place Joachim-du-Bellay was constructed in the year 1787 on the site of the former Saints Innocents Cemetery. Located in the heart of Paris, this square in 1st arrondissement is dedicated to a noted critic and French poet, Joachim du Bellay. The square is dominated by Fountain of Innocents which remains the last surviving relic of the demolished cemetery.