Set Current Location
The first Russian Orthodox parish in Switzerland settled in Bern in 1816. The Église Russe was built in 1878 in Vevey, Switzerland.
Romainmotier Priory is a monastery founded by Romanus of Condat in the Canton of Vaud, explaining its namesake. Now an entry on the Swiss inventory of cultural property of national and regional significance, it once stood as a priory for monks of the Cluniac order. The rich history of the Romainmotier Priory begins around 450, from there traveling through medieval times, a 14th-century financial crisis, the Protestant Reformation, and two restorations from 1899 to 1915 and 1992 to 2000. In the summer, spring, and autumn, hymn concerts are conducted at the Romainmotier Priory, making it not only a historically significant attraction but also a cultural one.
The Payerne Priory is also called Payerne Abbey or Peterlingen Priory. It is located in Payerne, Vaud, Switzerland as a monastery of national significance. The Abbey is a combination of Roman and Gothic art and there is a chapel dedicated to St.Michel. There is a museum and regular concerts are held during the day. A restaurant serves the delicacy of the town the saucisson or sausage, cake with cream and ham.
The spectacular Abbey of Hauterive is situated in the municipality of Hauterive in Switzerland, and is a national heritage site. The Cistercian establishment was founded in 1138 by Guillaume de Glâne, who was once the local lord. The abbey has been the cultural focal point for the locals of Hauterive ever since. In the 18th Century, it was subjected to renovations and improvements, and was rebuilt in the distinctive Baroque architectural style. A place for solidarity and peace, this establishment is currently home for several monks and priests. For information about opening hours, kindly visit the website.
Abbaye de Saint-Maurice is an ancient structure in town that is worth visiting for its splendid architecture and religious significance. While the abbey was founded as early as the 6th century, the structure was constantly renovated and rebuilt, hence the oldest part of the structure dates back to the 11th century, while its Romanesque tower was rebuilt in 1945. The abbey is also a renowned pilgrimage site and welcomes hordes of people, every year, for a session of prayer and study.
Holding a place of pride in the heart of Lausanne's Old Town, this imposing Gothic cathedral soars over a sea of red-roofed buildings. Although the original master mason is undocumented, construction efforts can be traced back to the 12th Century. The structure was completed roughly a century later in 1275 under an engineer named Jean Cotereel. It was ordained by three important figures - Pope Gregory X, Rudolph of Habsburg, and Guillaume of Champvent, the then bishop of Lausanne. Its belfry a home to seven sonorant bells, the Lausanne Cathedral's other noteworthy features include an exceptional pipe organ and a stained glass window considered to be one of Europe's finest. Those in the city will also hear a town crier announcing the hours every night between 10p and 2a from the bell tower, as has been tradition since the Middle Ages. An architectural wonder par excellence, this historic cathedral comes alive with a repertoire of concerts and a bevy of cultural events.
Located in the Swiss city of Fribourg, La Maigrauge Abbey is a beautiful 13th-century monastery and the first female monastery in the city. Occupied and maintained by Cistercian nuns since 1939, it today is home to more than a dozen nuns who also operate a guesthouse, gift shop and a bakery on the premises. Tourists can purchase products like organic jams, herbal teas, hand crafted dolls, rosaries among other items. The abbey welcomes young and old women alike to join them in the worship of god.
Located in the country which proudly boasts of scenic mountain ranges, is the Ermitage de Longeborgne. This little place of worship is etched in the village of Bramois. It was built in dedication to the Our Lady of Compassion, the patron for mothers who want to be blessed with a child. The establishment contains a number of historic relics which all have a story to tell.
La Collégiale de Neuchâtel is a 12th-century church that was dedicated to the virgin mother Mary. Built in hauteur vine stone, the church is a cross between Gothic and Roman-style architecture with a tower at the northern frontiers of the structure flanked by an aisle that leads to the central hall. The clock located in the southern end of the church was added in 1869 and is one of the latest additions to the structure.
In 1306, a small chapel called La Garillette was reconstructed to form Temple de Morges. It got classified as a historic monument in the year 1900. Over the years new features were added and in the year 2010, refurbishment of the temple was done. This temple is deemed as one of the most beautiful Baroque buildings in Switzerland. This monument can be used for hosting your wedding reception as well.
Church of St. Martin is an ancient church that dates back to the 10th Century. Glass paintings, Gothic designs and the church organ here make for an interesting trip.
The only surviving Carthusian monastery in Switzerland, the La Valsainte Charterhouse dates back to the late 13th Century. Destroyed by fire in the 14th Century, the monastery underwent several renovations and refurbishing in the later centuries. It acted as a shelter for French refugees in 1791. The La Valsainte Charterhouse has been responsible for many conversions to Catholicism.