The crown jewel of Capitol Square, Madison's glorious landmark is a pristine white canopy awash in stately Beaux-Arts style. Construction on the building was completed in 1917, and it has been the center point of the state's historic and legislative tenor ever since. However, this striking structure is the fifth capitol building of the state. The first was used only temporarily until Madison was ready to assume its role as the capitol site, the second was constructed in 1837 and later replaced for a larger facility, and the third was eventually destroyed in a fire in 1904. An eye-catching landmark that is perhaps best recognized by its large dome, the current state capitol building houses the Wisconsin legislature, as well as the state Supreme Court and the offices of the governor. Designated a National Historic Landmark, the capitol building sits like an enchanting jewel, ornamented with a string of rolling lawns and sculptures.
Overlooking Lake Mendota, Wisconsin Governor's Mansion or the Executive Residence is among the four state governor's residences in the nation that is not located in the state capital. Built for Carl A. Johnson in 1921 as a Classical Revival mansion, it was later bought by Thomas R. Hefty in 1933. He then sold the property to the State in 1949. It has been the Wisconsin Governors' abode since then. Comprising of 34 rooms, seven bedrooms and fireplaces, it is elegantly appointed with artifacts and artworks. The eight gardens though distinct are worth a look as well. Guided tours are open to the public for free every summer, once a week. Their holiday tours are equally a hit among visitors.