The Pinacoteca di Brera is located in a 1615 building constructed by Francesco Maria Richini. The gallery was founded in 1776, and it holds important works by Italian and foreign masters from 1400 to 1900. Of special note are the paintings by Vincenzo Foppa, Lorenzo Lotto, Paolo Veronese, Tintoretto, Giovanni Bellini, Andrea Mantegna, Tiziano, Correggio, Bramante, Gentile da Fabriano, Piero della Francesca, Caravaggio, Rubens, Hayez. This is the permanent home of Sposalizio della Vergine by Raffaello, the Cristo morto by Andrea Mantegna, Madonna and Saints by Piero della Francesca and the Madonna in trono e Santi by Ercole Dè Roberti. There are a bookshop and a cafeteria, and guided tours are available. It is located within the city's notable palace Palazzo di Brera which was constructed by architect, Francesco Maria Ricchino, in a Milanese Baroque style.
The Basilica of St. Ambrose was originally built in 379 CE at the burial site of those lost in the Roman persecution. Restored, reconstructed and redesigned several times over the years, the basilica as it stands today features a Romanesque design of unusual proportions, and is revered as a stellar example of Medieval architecture. The interior is made up of a long body with three aisles that open on to secondary spaces and intriguing chapels that date back to the Sforza dynasty. Around every corner lie impressive architectural details and artistic embellishments like gilded statues, rich carvings, and other ecclesiastical art. Of special note are the ciborium, the gold altar, and paleo-Christian mosaics. Here lie the mortal remains of St. Ambrose himself, alongside those of St. Gervasius and St.Protasius, which can be viewed in the crypt.
Commissioned by Ludovico di Moro and designed by Guiniforte Solari, this building was intended as a mausoleum for the Sforzesco dynasty, in which the remains of the duke and his wife, Beatrice d'Este, as well as others connected with the family, were to be laid to rest. The adjoining Dominican convent's cloister and sacristy were later renovated by Bramante. This is of particular interest as is the gallery's terracotta ornamentation, which became one of the main motifs in northern Italian Renaissance architecture. One of the most famous paintings, The Last Supper is housed here.
Characterized by still ponds, emerald green grass and exhilarating views of the main landmarks of the city, the Sforza Castle, the Arch of Peace and the Palazzo dell'Arte, Sempione Park offers some of the best visual experiences in Milan. Designed by architect Emilio Alemagna, the park is nothing short of a landscaping marvel. The Arena Civica, the Neptune-guarding public aquarium and the Torre Branca tower are also part of this expansive park. To add to its charm, visitors can also see permanent sculptures by Arman, Francesco Barzaghi and Giorgio de Chirico.
Located right behind the Brera Art Gallery, in the Brera Place complex, Orto Botanico di Brera dates back to the late 18th Century. An Italian monk and botanist, Fulgezio Vitman, worked for the establishment of this botanical garden in 1774. It was created with the aim of providing an educational platform for students of botany and pharmacy. Giuseppe Piermarini, of the Scala Theatre fame, assisted Vitman in designing the garden. Orto Botanico di Brera, today, is home to a vast collection of medicinal plants, ornamental plants and vegetables. A restored greenhouse, located at the northern end, is used as a teaching center by the Academy of Fine Arts.
One of the finest museums in the continent for its exquisite collection of 19th-century fine art, Museo Poldi Pezzoli has been delighting art connoisseurs since the late 19th Century. Get amazed by the masterpieces of artists like Giovanni Bellini, Guardi and Pollaiolo. Impeccable collections in the form of tapestries, porcelain, jewelry and glassware are also worth a look.
For art aficionados, Museo Del Novecento is a welcoming change as it highlights artistic expressions of the 20th Century till date. You will find masterpieces by Italian masters, renowned world artists and established local artists in its themed rooms. Set inside the Palazzo dell’Arengario with its grand staircase being the focal point to all the levels, you will find each area celebrating Italian art which includes varying forms such as surrealism, abstract and spatialism as well as sculptures. Besides its permanent collection of 400 works, it also hosts temporary exhibits, concerts and educational events.
Housed within the historic Biblioteca Ambrosiana, the Pinacoteca Ambrosiana was formed in 1618 following Cardinal Federico Borromeo's generous donation of artworks. The collection included a total of 172 paintings that can be traced back to the 17th, 18th and early twentieth centuries, with significant artworks such as The Musician by Leonardo, The Basket of Fruit by Caravaggio and the Vases of Flowers by Jan Brueghel. There are also several paintings that can be sourced to Venetian, Flemish and Lombardian schools of art, besides a few bronze and marble sculptures as well.
Housed in the Palace of Ambrosiana, Biblioteca Ambrosiana is considered one of the most important institutions in the city. Founded by Federico Borromeo as a center for counter-reform culture, it gradually accumulated numerous collections of art, books and manuscripts. From the first nucleus, facing Piazza S. Sepolcro, the institution expanded to occupy the entire block. The vast collection of the library includes the Codice Atlantico by Leonardo da Vinci.
Impressive pinnacles and countless marble statues surround visitors to the Terraces of the Cathedral. You take a lift to the approximately 8,000 m² size roof on one of the important Gothic buildings in Italy. From here you are afforded a spectacular view of all of Milan its surroundings - framed by Gothic decor. In winter it is even possible to watch dusk fall over the city.