Set Current Location
Saint Joseph's Oratory in Montreal is the nation's largest church, its regal dome second in height only to St. Peter's Basilica in Rome. A small chapel dedicated to Saint Joseph was built at the site in 1904 by Brother André, renowned for his miraculous ability to heal the injured and ailing. He was later beatified in 1982 and canonized in 2010. Completed in 1960, the renaissance church that replaced the original shrine encompasses a basilica, a votive chapel lined with discarded crutches, and the heart of Brother André amongst several other treasures. Outside, the Stations of the Cross grace the sculpture garden where scenes from the film Jésus of Montréal were shot. The oratory itself is a striking beauty that dominates the skyline for miles around, its elegant dome rising high above the bucolic scene. One of the world's most revered Catholic shrines and an important place of pilgrimage, Saint Joseph's Oratory inspires wonder in the hearts of the devout and the simply curious.
Roger Taillibert's magnificent Olympic Stadium, or "The Big O," as it is affectionately called, remains one of Montreal's most stunning architectural achievements. The visionary design is a triumphant embodiment of Organic Modern Architecture, inspired by natural plant and animal forms. The covered stadium was designed to withstand the city's notoriously harsh winters, with a retractable roof that is supported by the world's tallest inclined tower. Originally intended for the Summer Olympics of 1976, the ambitious design did not reach fruition until 1987, and the roof's ability to retract remained unrealized for another year. Today, the stadium is Quebec's largest in terms of seating capacity and hosts special events such as concerts, trade fairs and sporting events. A funicular transports visitors to the top of the inclined tower, at a height of 175 meters (574 feet), where a spellbinding view over the Olympic Park and the city beyond awaits.
This former railway station served the city till 1984, and is now no longer utilized. The likes of Prime Minister William Lyon MacKenzie King, George VI have paid a visit to this station in 1939.
One of the foremost Jewish cemeteries in the city, the Baron de Hirsch Cemetery was established in 1905. This is the final resting place of many notable Canadian personalities, authors and so forth.
The Church of La Visitation-de-la-Bienheureuse-Vierge-Marie serves the Recollet Falls region of Montreal city. This church was erected in the 1700s era and is touted to be one of the foremost churches on this island.
Église des Saints-Anges Gardiens also known as Paroisse Saints-Anges is a magnificent Romanesque Revival structure. Built between 1919 to 1920, it was designed by Dalbé Viau and Alphonse Venne. The parish was founded in the 17th Century and this is the fourth church on the site. The concrete interior was decorated by esteemed Canadian painter, Ozias Leduc. The 34 murals on the nave and majestic statue of the archangel Michael on the facade are wonderful works of craftsmanship. This statue was sculpted by Louis Jobin and is of wood with a copper covering.