Built in 1925, St. Lucy's Church was established to serve the city's Italian diaspora. The brick and stone building was constructed in the Romanesque style of architecture, but the real treasures can be found in the church interiors. Studded with awe-inspiring murals, frescoes and sculptural work, the church interiors are a spectacular affair and warrant a visit. Built in 1925, this historic church found its place in the prestigious National Register of Historic Places in the year 1998. St. Lucy's Church is the National Shrine of St. Gerard.
New York's Grand Central Terminal, often inaccurately referred to as the Grand Central Station, is one of Midtown Manhattan's most resplendent architectural jewels and one of the busiest terminals in the world. Completed in 1913, the majestic Beaux-Arts beauty is richly embellished, its interiors a love affair with marble, while the ornamented facade is topped by The Glory of Commerce - a riveting sculpture that depicts Mercury, Hercules and Minerva overlooking the city from a lofty perch, the world's largest Tiffany-stained glass clock at their feet. Painted constellations arch above the iconic main hall, featured in any number of movies, its vaulted ceilings an awe-inspiring sight. Today, the building also houses chic shops and a dining concourse, alongside platforms that cater to commuter, intercity and rapid transport trains, attracting commuters and tourists in equal measure.
Resting behind an opulent French-Gothic Revival visage, the cathedral is rightly situated in the heart of the city. Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart was constructed over the course of nearly a century, specifically built to feature views of the mountains to the west and downtown Manhattan to the east. First proposed in 1859, the cathedral's cornerstone was finally set forty years later. It wasn't until 1954 that the church was completed and consecrated. Pope John Paul II visited this gargantuan cathedral in 1995, performing an evening prayer that earned the cathedral the rank of basilica. Rightly dubbed as the Monument of Faith, this elegant basilica is adorned with sharp arches and glorious chandeliers giving way to the stunning altar. The Cathedral Basilica regularly holds concerts that are open to the public, played on the largest pipe organ ever created by the Schantz Organ Company. Commanding Newark's beautiful landscape, the basilica is one of the most treasured edifices of the city.
The magnanimous Clement Clark Moore, the man who gave the moniker of Chelsea to the neighborhood, established this church in 1831. The original chapel features a Greek-revival design, however a few years later, a larger church was constructed right next to the smaller chapel (which is now the rectory) in the Gothic Revival style. The Episcopalian denomination also attends events at the the massive General Theological Seminary right down the street and the church hosts the Atlantic Theater Company in an adjacent building. Also of note, St. Peter's presents Music in Chelsea, a concert series with live music ranging from classical to folk. For more details, check the website or call ahead.
This memorial is dedicated to the devastating Great Irish Potato Famine of 1845 - 1852. The Famine resulted in nearly one million deaths in Ireland and forced countless others to emigrate to America, many of whom came to New York. The memorial is made of stones from all 32 counties of Ireland. It also uses native soil and vegetation straight from Ireland, as well as slabs of text separated by layers of Irish limestone from over 300 million years ago. The memorial also features an authentic 19th century Irish cottage.
This bronze statue in Central Park is a popular attraction for kids. Commissioned by George Delacorte and sculpted by Jose de Creeft in 1959, Alice in Wonderland is a tribute to the famous Lewis Carroll novel. The sculpture depicts Alice, the Mad Hatter, the White Rabbit, and the Dormouse gathered around a troop of mushrooms. The statue is designed for children to climb and play on. Look for Alice in the eastern section of the park, just north of the Conservatory Water near East 74th Street.
This Arte Primitivo gallery specializes in pre-Columbian art, as well as Classical, Egyptian and Asian antiques. It has been in existence since 1961. The current owner, Howard S. Rose, acquired the space in 1996. He has auctioned over rare pieces of pre-Columbian art since that time. Information on ongoing auctions can be obtained online at the gallery's website, or by calling for a printed catalog. Admission to the gallery is free.
Built in 1924 for the American Radiator Company, this building was the first major design in New York by Rockefeller Center architect, Raymond Hood. Its stepped-back pyramidal roof was one of the first of its kind, and the stark black brickwork helps it stand out as a familiar landmark of the New York skyline. At 21 stories, the tower is topped by gold terra-cotta trim. When originally lit in honor of the heating company, the stories were supposed to resemble fired coals.
Dating back to early 1776, the Jacob Purdy House was the former headquarters of Sir George Washington. One of architect Samuel Horton's renowned works till date, the house, in 1979, was declared a registered monument in the National Register of Historic Place. Over the years, this historic structure has gone on to become an integral part of White Plains' rich history. Today, the house is the headquarters of the White Plains Historical Society.
The Old Broadway Synagogue was established in the year 1923 by a Polish immigrant. Harlem had a major concentration of Jews during those times and the Broadway Synagogue became a place where the community could come together. It is a vernacular style building that also features on the National Register of Historic Places. The synagogue's late rabbi, Jacob Kret, who was a witness to the partition of Poland, served the synagogue from 1950 till 1997, today it is run by veteran as well as young custodians of the Jewish faith.
Eberhardt Hall is one of the oldest buildings on the New Jersey Institute of Technology campus. This mansion-like structure is a rare example of Gothic Victorian architecture in Newark. Some of the most evident features include the lavish staircase, gaslight fixtures and Victorian furnishings. This building is well-equipped with modern amenities, and its detailed architecture makes it a stand out.