According to legend, this place was built in 1498 on the site of a miraculous apparition. The frescoed portal of the Deposition is from 1505. On the left of the portal, is another Renaissance fresco of the Virgin, Child and two Angels. On the right side are remains of an old building which could have been a cloisters. The bell tower has little windows and finishes in a pyramid shape. The interior has one nave with a cross vault, decorations and ornaments. There is an arch by the apse and the main altar was made in 1642 with a great deal of golden stucco, decorated columns, allegoric statues and a 15th-century triptych. There are also frescoes by the school of Andrea de Litio. The church is found on the road between Alanno and Cugnoli. From Alanno, take the road for Cugnoli and turn left for Torre De Passeri. After 3 kilometers (1.9 miles) you find the church.
Built in the 17th Century to commemorate an apparition of the Madonna, this has a facade with a central, square part covered by stone blocks. Above the neoclassical portal is a square window underlined by a cornice. The upper, central part of the facade finished with an oval, horizontal cornice. The higher sides are sloping. The interior has a nave with two lateral chapels, covered by frescoes. The decorations contain 54 scenes and portraits. This is not far from Pietranico which can be reached by the A25 from Pescara, from the Casauria-Torre de Passeri exit.
This was discovered by excavators examining a succession of strata at Roman, sub-Appennine and Neolithic levels. The value of this discovery is not only related to the fact that it is over 6500 years old. It is also that the cave was not a hunting shelter like so many other archaeological finds from the same period. This cave was a sanctuary. Studies have found remains of a child sacrificed in some rite, that was probably linked to the fertility of the land. It is near Bolognano, in a rocky landscape with waterfalls and green water from the Valley of Orta.
Of medieval origin, this church used to be home to nuns. It can be reached by going up a staircase that was rebuilt in the 18th Century. The facade dates from the same period, decorated with Maltese Crosses. The Romanesque, polygonal apse dates from the middle of the14th Century as does the bell tower, which is surrounded by majolica bowls. Near the entrance, in a niche, is the 15th-century statue of a Madonna with Child. Inside, there is a single nave and lateral altars. On the main altar is a painting of San Giovanni Battista (St. John the Baptist) from 1617, by Samberlotti di Montorio.
The cathedral is found on a hill where pagan rites took place once upon a time. There are remains of cult settlements here and Roman remains have been found in the area which testify that it is an ancient, holy place. Before the cathedral was built, which is dedicated to Santa Maria degli Angeli and to San Massimo, there were at least two Christian churches here. Material was found during restorations that documents the story of the church throughout the centuries from before the year 1000. Before the 11th Century, it was Romanesque, and in the 14th Century it became Gothic. It was restored at the beginning of the last century, and was seriously damaged by the 1944 bombings, and rebuilt in 1955. The facade was rebuilt in brickwork, but the lateral door dates from 1574 and the bell tower from the 14th Century. The interior is a latin cross shape with three naves containing pointed arches. The main altar in the presbytery is from the 12th Century, and, although it was rebuilt after the bombings, it still has original parts. The oldest part of the church is the crypt, which dates from before the year 1000. It has oriental, marble and granite columns that date from the classical building period, and there are remains of frescoes from the 12th and 13th Centuries. There is a distinctive holy water font which has a mix of medieval and Renaissance elements.
This is one of the most beautiful 18th-century buildings in the region. The terracotta brickwork façade reaches skyward with two rows of Doric and ionic columns. The middle section has a soft curved line. It was originally built in the Middle Ages and rebuilt in 1733. The inside is neoclassical with a nave that gives onto various lateral altars which are decorated with prestigious paintings. One of the walls features a fresco of the Annunciation. The second altar on the right has a 19th-century guilded wooden statue of the Virgin which is quite striking. You can ask the parish priest to show you the Copertore di Cristo Morto. The velvet is embroidered in many colors, including silver and gold, and is placed on a wooden sculpture in the niche between the first and second altars on Good Friday. In the sacristy there is a tavola pregiottesca ('pre-Giotto painting') of a Madonna with Child.
The point where the Lavino River reaches Pescara has always been a significant spot, and was the site of thermal baths in Roman times. It is a small, industrial center with no historic heritage, even though it has the Church of the Madonna della Carmine and the Town Hall which both display good architecture. Outside the town, along the Lavino river, there is a park that is a marvel of blue, sulphur waters, willows and poplars populated by moorhens, nightingales, green woodpeckers and grey wagtails. There is a seventeenth century mill here that is still active, with wooden blades and stone grinders. It is a true example of industrial archaeology. From Pescara, take the A25 to the Scafa-Alanno exit.
Despite the name and the walnut on the coat of arms, it is not walnuts, but Roman and pre-Roman objects that have been found here. The origins of these relics remain obscure, as there is no documentation to support a history. There is a medieval castle here with a museum of modern art. In the Church of Sant'Antonio, which once belonged to Franciscan friars, are paintings and objects from the Renaissance and Baroque periods. The Romanesque Church of San Lorenzo has been abandoned and semi destroyed. To get here, take road 602 from Chieti, and turn right after Catignano following the signs.
On a smooth, sloping rock, this place is still full of legends of miracles and saints who are entwined in the history, and from whom this rock takes its name. The story of the construction of the Oratorio della Madonna della Croce all revolves around the tale of an apparition of the Virgin. In memory of this there is a procession from the Church of San Michele every May 3, holding a statue from the 19th Century. The Parish of San Michele was restored in 1934, and has parts that were rebuilt in Romanesque style. The Church of San Rocco has one portal on which its foundation date of 1868 is written. The facade is neoclassical, covered in blocks of stone, and has semi-columns. The triangular front has a circular window. On the wall is a simple, brick bell tower. To get here, take the A25 from Pescara and take the Casauria-Torre de Passeri exit.
People have sometimes imagined that the name of this town came from the chains worn by the prisoners who were brought from Aquila. But it's really derived from Catonius which refers to a rural town. The fantasy has had its effects though, for example a there is an inscription which mentions this on the façade of the Church of S. Giovanni Battista, an unusual example of neoclassical Baroque. Near the church there is a building constructed by a noble family in the 19th century. The monastery of Santa Maria a Catignano on the town's outskirts and the rural architecture in the surrounding countryside are also worth seeing. From Pescara take the s.n. 602, or the A25 then the Chieti exit.