This quaint chapel is one of the most important historic sites in the city, and is home to what is considered one of the masterpieces of Giotto- a complex series of frescoes which are a marvel to behold. The frescoes were completed in 1305. The name of the chapel is the surname of the man who commissioned Giotto. The chapel is equipped with modern instruments that make for interactive tours. Reservations in order to visit the chapel are recommended.
Together, with the Basilica di Sant'Antonio, Palazzo della Ragione is a symbol of the city. Built in 1288, it is called the Salone, or lounge, because of its large room with its wooden vaulted ceiling (destroyed and rebuilt many times over the centuries), making it the largest undivided hall in the world. The piazza and the bustling daily market are dominated by its loggia. It was a real layman's center in the city. Justice was carried out in the upper rooms, adorned with frescoes of astrological depictions (perhaps even by Giotto). If the sentence was serious, the accused would be taken to one of the local prisons. The building also houses a large wooden horse that Annibale Capodilista had made for a merry-go-round and then donated to the city. On the ground floor, traditional commercial activities took place, as they still do today.
Home to the university since the 16th Century, the building dates back to the same time, and was then renovated in the 20th Century. The best preserved area is the interior courtyard, with its porticoes decorated with coats of arms of the noble families, to which the students belonged. It housed the first anatomical theater in the world (1594) and the desk of Galileo Galilei, teacher of mathematics. Hours vary as per season.
Palazzo Zuckermann is one of the most famous palaces in the city of Padua. It was built during the years 1912 and 1914, in an era which demanded a new urban planning of the city, in order to give the city a more monumental aspect. The name comes from the last name of the man who commissioned the structure, in a XIXth century style, with a liberty front, and it hosts in its courtyard the old walls of the city. Nowadays it is the seat of two museums: the Museo Bottacin and the Museum of Applied and Decorative Arts.
Located inside the Palazzo Barbaran da Porto, Palladio Museum is an homage to the popular architect from the Renaissance era, Andrea Palladio. Housed inside its frescoed halls are several models depicting Palladio's famous monuments. The museum is also to some of Palladio's personal artifacts, one of them includes a copy of I quattro libri dell'architettura (The Four Books of Architecture).
Located in the old church and school of the Carità, Galleria dell'Accademia's building was partly built in the 12th Century and finished in the 14th Century. The Academy of Fine Arts was started here by the Napoleonic government. In its 24 rooms, it displays works of Italian art, by artists such as Andrea Mantegna, Piero Della Francesca, Cosmè Tura, and Giovanni Bellini. Other artists include Giorgione, Tintoretto, Paris Bordone and Moretto Da Brescia among others.
This museum is located in the old, Benedictine convent of Sant'Appolonia, whose cloister has been preserved. The historic archives of the Venetian diocese are kept and displayed here, including paintings and sculptures, banners, silver and jewellery from churches and convent churches. Works by Palma di Giovane, Tintoretto, Titian and others are also on display here, but on rotation, so they can be restored or displayed in other museums.
The great Contarini-Camerini villa in Piazzola sul Brenta and its characteristic landscapes are quite original in respect to the more traditional Villa Veneta. The villa's archives consisting mainly of maps and drawings came from two fundamental periods: the 'Contarinian,' referring to the 15th-century acquisition of the former Carrarese estate, and the 'Camarinian' that dates back to 1852. The picture that emerges goes beyond that of a family archive. The archival heritage also includes hydraulic maps, measurements and land registry documents. The piazza opposite the villa holds a splendid antiques market on the last Sunday in every month.
The saying of this theater is to present cinema, music and theater under only one roof. Is property of the order of the Salesiani. It can host up to 400 people and is part of the chain Microcinema, as are lately implementing digital screenings. The scheduling includes film for children during the week and the latest successes during the week end. Its stage is also available for concerts of jazz and rock music and for classes of theater.
Constructed over a period of 20 years in the middle of the 18th Century, this building was designed by architects Gerolamo Frigimelica and Francesco Maria Preti. The stable buildings are regal and the enormous house is set in dense parkland. The villa is home to one of Giambattista Tiepolo's most well-known frescoes, The Glories of the Pisani House, and was once home to Napoleon.