Activeren huidige locatie
This monastery was built on the ancient Tiburtina Valeria, in an area which was popular for trade and where travelers stopped (Kasaura was the name of a nearby tavern-brothel). It is one of Italy's most significant examples of Benedictine art. Ludovico II had it built in 871; it was then improved between 1176 and 1182 by workers brought from the south. It is more significant that the monastery at Montecassino. The monks who lived here wrote the Chronicon Casauriense which is an important document for Italian history. The portico has three arches and features a sequence of ornaments and figures celebrating of the power of God, of the monastery and of the people who funded the monastery. Representations of the evangelists, the apostles and other biblical characters are featured together with patron emperors of the monastery and the abbot Leonate, who was in charge of the re-foundation in the 12th Century. The relief on the lintel explains the birth of the church.
According to historical records, the founding of this city coincides with the building of the castle in the year 1000. The walls with houses built into them and the towers (which were also houses) are still standing in the historical center. Another type of fort was the already decaying Palazzo de Petris which of which the main arched doorway decorated with diamond-shaped ashlars can still be seen. The Church of Santa Maria Assunta from 1690, has a main doorway in stone with Baroque decorations. Inside there is one nave with lateral chapels (in a Latin cross plan) which are as Baroque as the paintings and the crucifix. In the valley on the other side of the river there is the historical monastery of S. Clemente a Casauria. From Pescara take the A25, Casauria-Torre de Passeri exit.
This town was once called Turris Passum, named after its Castle's tower which signaled a passage through the valley with fires lit at night. The town is currently a business hotspot, but also hosts artistic initiatives on a yearly basis. An annual painting exhibition, held from September to November in the Mazara-Gizzi Castle, focuses on Dante's Divine Comedy, and presents works by Botticelli, Michelangelo, Blake, Signorelli, Raffaello and others.
This name means Rock of Sansone, named after the man who owned it in the 10th Century. It has been practically abandoned as it is located on a geologically unstable buttress, on the last sharp, slopes of Gran Sasso. The inhabited center has moved to the east of the old part, where the wall of the castle remains, as does the Church of San Nicola, built in the 13th Century by Benedictines and still in blocks of stone. The Sanctuary of Beato Nunzio Sulprizio is a place of pilgrimage, built in the place where the young man went to cure plague. Take the A25 from Pescara, toward Castiglione at Casauria and continue on the same road, after Castiglione and before Corvara.