Chiesa di San Vidal is a historic former church in Venice with the magnificence of an ancient palace. A major landmark, this site is home to a year-round series of classical music concerts. Chamber music aficionados flock to the church to hear music performed in the grandest of settings. San Vidal is not open otherwise to the public.
Established in 1792, Teatro La Fenice is regarded as one of the most respected venues in the history of Italian theater. Destroyed by fire three times, the theater was rebuilt, because of which it was named Teatro La Fenice (The Phoenix). Originally built by Gianantonio Selva, the later iterations were constructed by Tommaso and Giovanni Battista Meduna (1837) and Aldo Rossi (2003). Equipped with great acoustics, this premier opera house is among the best venues in town to watch superb opera performances, chamber music concerts, and ballets.
The Venice Jazz Club was born in 2006 after the closing of the Around Midnight Club. The Venice Jazz Club quartet is the group that usually plays here, but sometimes other jazz musicians come here as well. The club has great wine, sometimes hosts art exhibitions and is located between Campo Santa Margherita and the Accademia Bridge.
The Teatro Goldoni has gone through several changes over the years and is a spot frequented by locals as well as visitors. Named after the 18th Century dramatist Carlo Goldoni, it actually began as Teatro San Luca, way back in 1622. With a seating capacity of 800, Teatro Goldini is known for the diverse range of performances it hosts throughout the year. Apart from some of the most scintillating concerts in the city, the theater offers ballets, operas and various other live acts. Check the website for a complete schedule of events.
Teatro Malibran, founded towards the end of the 17th Century, is one of Venice's finest venues that hosts a number of artists and musicians. The building, which resembles its original structure, now has wider theater boxes, and a lengthened gallery. Located in the heart of historical center of Venice, the Malibran brings in thousands of Italy's theater-goers each year.
Al Vapore, the small music venue is located right off the mainland-side of the bridge to Venice in Marghera, which is directly on the other side of the tracks from the train station in Mestre. They very often host international jazz acts and world-class music concerts. Folks from all over the region come to Al Vapore to hear good live music in an intimate setting. It's one of the few places in Mestre where the entire family can enjoy a cultural entertainment and some tasty Italian grub.
Built in 1076, Ateneo di San Basso is one of the oldest churches in Venice. Restored after the fires of 1105 and 1661, the church has been privately owned, used as a marble and sculpture camp by the Fabbriceria di San Marco and finally reconstructed and furnished as a conference hall during the 1950s. Today this historic landmark is used as a venue where visitors can listen to soulful music of Vivaldi and Mozart. Accomplished musical groups and maestro musicians and orchestras grace this venue, paying tribute to the legendary Baroque composers. The performances held here are worthy of a visit; especially after a tiring day in the city this can be a great place to unwind.
Located on the southeastern frontiers of the city of lakes, Palazzo delle Prigioni Nuove is a 16th-century castle that is particularly known for its underground prison cells; offering something unique to its visitors. The rooms within the castles are elaborate and have been well-maintained to ensure that they do not lose their original decor and charm. Some of these rooms are open to the public, allowing rental facilities for private events.
Located in the heart of the city, Scuole Grande di San Teodoro is one of eight "Scuole Grande" churches in Venice. The term Scuole Grande refers to all-male upper-class religious confraternities who were dedicated to self-improvement, fellowship, and charity. This church was founded in 1258 when the confraternity settled in the San Salvador Church and expanded in 1551 due to a plethora of followers. In the 17th Century, the internal stairs were constructed, Giuseppe Sarde built the marble façade and Longhena created the balconies and art on the lateral façade. Today Scuole Grande di San Teodoro hosts cultural events and concerts as well as seminars and conferences in its premises.