The Queen's College is probably the finest example of classical architecture in Oxford. The college was founded in 1340, but the original buildings have gone, and a rebuilding program in the 17th and 18th Centuries resulted in the quadrangles we see today. The architecture of the front quadrangle is particularly noteworthy, and was heavily influenced by the architect Nicholas Hawksmoor. The screen wall that fronts the High Street also owes much to Hawksmoor, though it is attributed to a local Oxford mason William Townesend. This college is only open to the public on official city tours.
If you're interested in polo, Kirtlington Park Polo Club to the north east of Oxford is certainly worth knowing about. Tournaments are played from Easter until mid-September. The admission price is very reasonable and full bar facilities are available for spectators.
Completed in 1858, the Oxford University Museum of Natural History contains a wonderful exhibition of dinosaur skeletons, plus numerous curiosities including the remains of a dodo. This is a traditionally styled museum, but nonetheless holds delights for all the family. Venture upstairs to find the vast zoology, mineralogy and geology displays. At the rear, is the Pitt Rivers Museum which houses one of the world's finest collections of anthropological and archaeological exhibits. Also found within the premises of the museum are a souvenir shop and a Café.
Merton isn't one of the best known Oxford colleges, but it is one of the largest, and one of three colleges claiming to be the oldest in Oxford (the others are Balliol and University). Founded in 1264 by Walter de Merton, the college has the oldest buildings in the entire university and the oldest surviving medieval library.
St John's isn't on the main tourist trail of colleges, but it has some outstanding features that make it well worth visiting. Founded in 1437 as St Bernard's (a college for Cistercian students), it was dissolved in 1539 and became St John's 16 years later under the patronage of merchant tailor Sir Thomas White. St John's remained a single-sex college until women were admitted in 1979. The peaceful atmosphere of Canterbury Quad, with its impressive classical architecture, is the ideal setting for the gates through to the college gardens. Designed by Capability Brown in the 18th century, they are perhaps the finest to be found in any Oxford college.
When Lt. General Pitt Rivers, a man remembered for his contribution to the development of evolutionary anthropology and archaeology, decided to give his extensive collection to the Oxford University, he did so on two conditions. One was that a museum would need to be built to house the collection and two, that a lecturer would need to be appointed to teach anthropology. The Pitt Rivers Museum is a splendid structure that stands today as the place which houses these rare, precious and beautiful objects which were originally about 18,000 artifacts, but now total up to over half a million in all!
City Sightseeing Oxford is a the perfect way for visitors to Oxford to get a first hand look at all the important places in town. The tour lasts for around an hour with well informed guides showing tourists all the best places in Oxford right from famous restaurants to hotels, colleges as well as important landmarks. Most notably are sites like Magdalen College, Broad Street and the Sheldonian Theatre amongst others. Tickets can be purchased at the bus itself. Tours leave every 15 minutes subjected to traffic conditions.
Situated in the west of the central part of the city, the Frideswide Square is a triangular square. This square sits under the dominance of the Saïd Business School and is surrounded by many other important sites. Named as a dedication to St Frideswide, this square is the focal point where all the city traffic is congested.
An architectural gem, the St Frideswide's Church located on the southern edge of the Botley Road is an Anglican Church of New Osney. Built in memorial of St Frideswide, Oxford's patroness, the church was consecrated in the 19th century. Designed in Gothic Revival style of architecture, this active institute of faith almost resembles a modest house. The church is beautifully related to Lewis Caroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland owing to the ‘Alice Door' in the nave. Check website for information on services and timings.