The Congregational United Church of Christ, as it is more formally known, has stood on the New Haven Green since 1639. The current Georgian structure dates to 1812. Architect Ithiel Town incorporated large windows into the design to capture sunshine, as there was no heating system. A beautiful Tiffany window, installed in 1890, depicts the Rev. John Davenport leading the first service in the new colony. The historic crypt contains the remains of Benedict Arnold's first wife. There is a small burial ground behind the church, where regicide John Dixwell is laid to rest.
It never ceases to amaze visitors and even locals that New Haven is a city of firsts. Trinity, besides being the first Episcopal congregation in New Haven when it was founded in 1752, also erected the first Gothic Revival building in the United States in 1812-15. Designed by prolific Ithiel Town, who also designed the neighboring Center Church), Trinity is a superb example of medieval architecture, and has been a tourist attraction almost since it was built. It stands on the northwest corner of the historic green.
This is a city location for Muslim worship and other services.
This is a city location for Muslim worship and other services. Check website for local prayer times.
Thomas Griswold House Museum was the former home of its namesake and his family from 1774 to 1958. This historic Colonial saltbox style structure is located on a scenic stretch and was bought by the Guilford Keeping Society in 1958. Decorated with early 19th-century period furniture that also features many items from the last owners inventory, the museum also features vintage clothing and photos. Explore the blacksmith shop and the museum shop to get more than a glimpse of the early Puritan settlement. The house was listed to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
Beaver Ponds was once a wetland and considered useless. Today it is a picture of ball fields, swimming pools, playgrounds, and lush greenery. Bowen Field, a baseball stadium and Wilbur Cross High School are prominent structures in the park and attract the most visitors. The lagoons and trails on the property make it conducive for a nature walk. Fishing is also possible in the ponds.
Officially known as the United Congregational Church, the northernmost church on the Green is a perfect example of Federalist architecture. The steeple on this building has served as a template for church steeples all over the country. Although admission is only permitted for those who have been permitted a privately guided tour, it is almost enough to enjoy the grace and beauty of this structure from without. Call and ask for a tour or just stroll the Green and enjoy the view.