Attend services at this English decorated style church. Built in 1862 in open fields, the stone building is now in the center of Brown University located on the East Side of Providence. A peaceful country church feeling pervades the atmosphere of this gothic Middle Age structure. Music of the liturgy drifts into the high alcoves of Our Lady's Chapel. The Chapel affords east and west views, a reminder of parish diversity at St. Stephens. Daily Services, small weddings and funerals are held in the Chapel.
The Providence Athenaeum is one of America's oldest member-supported libraries and it has functioned as such since 1753 (though the present structure was built in 1838). According to 19th-century legend, the poet Edgar Allen Poe courted Sarah Whitman in the stacks of this granite Greek Revival building. Some of the collections include documents and books from the original Providence Library, rare editions from American authors like Louisa May Alcott and Herman Melville along with the Robert Burns collection, which has more than 400 items. Today, the Athenaeum hosts events throughout the year with a focus on education for both adults as well as children.
This baseball diamond is home to the beloved Pawtucket Red Sox or more affectionately known as the 'Pawsox,' the Boston Red Sox triple-A minor-league affiliate. The stadium was built in 1942 and named after then Mayor Thomas P. McCoy. It holds around 10,000 people and though it is outside of the city of Providence, visiting the town of Pawtucket is always a nice day excursion.
In 1764, three men from Newport established 'The College in the English Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations'. For the sake of brevity, it was shortened to Brown University in 1804. It is one of the original eight Ivy League Colleges. Standing strong ever since its inception in 1764, Brown University boasts an excellent educational offering which spans diverse disciplines including engineering, design, ancient studies, archaeology, academics and sciences among others. However, the university bears as much brilliance in its architecture as it does in its academics. Its campus is laden with exceptional examples of late 18th-century architecture residing around the Wriston and Simmons quadrangles, as well as those on the Pembroke College campus, and along Benefit Street. The college remains one of the most prestigious educational institutions in the United States.
Destroyed once by fire and rebuilt in the 19th century, this striking pale stone and wood edifice attracts visitors strolling historic Benefit Street. The Gothic-looking spire rises tall above this corner of College Hill, with its handsome black-faced clock, and the church bells can be heard tolling through a portion of the East Side. The services at the First Unitarian Church start on Sundays from 10.30am.
In 1837, the cathedral was established with the celebration of the first Mass. It is the mother church of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Providence. The structure is made from brown sandstone and is a standing example of architectural brilliance. Inside the church, green marble is extensively used. Oil paintings and statues form an integral part of this church. The stained glass windows, depicting scenes from testaments, take you back in time. It also has the largest organ featuring 6,616 pipes.
The First Baptist Church in America is quite literally the primogenitor of all the subsequent congregations across the nation for this particular denomination of Protestantism. It was constructed in 1775 and like many other buildings in College Hill, it played a significant part in the development of both Colonial America as well as Providence. The church was also the impetus behind Brown University and its relocation from nearby Warren in 1770 (even though the building did not exist, the clerical bureaucracy still had considerable clout). In fact, the university still holds undergraduate commencement ceremonies inside the church's Meeting Hall every Fall. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1966 and today its open to the public for services on Sunday as well as more tourist-oriented visits during the week.
The Providence Art Club is the second oldest clubhouse of this kind in the United States after the famous Salgamundi Art Club in New York. The galleries and exhibitions support artists around the greater New England region and all are open to the public. Some of the exhibits include photography, assembled prints, film, sculpture and much, much more. It's better to visit during the week as opposed to weekends when it's only open for two hours.
Stretching from Main Street in the northern part of College Hill to Alves Way in the neighborhood of Fox Point, this street is also called the 'Mile of History'. Benefit Street has been a catalyst in the history of the city and state. Along the way, visitors will see many Victorian and Colonial homes as well as the campus of Brown University and the Rhode Island School of Design. The street is dotted with other historical attractions like the Providence Athenaeum, the First Baptist Church in America and the anachronistic John Brown and Nightingale Houses. If you choose to walk yourself, the Providence Preservation Society provides free pamphlets in order to guide you down the street.
Built in 1762, and renovated several times over the years, the Old State House is not only a historical building, but it is also an important city landmark. Built in the brick Georgian-style by the state, the building was home to numerous meetings of the colonial and state legislatures. It also served as the courthouse for a considerable period of time. If you are in the mood to get a glimpse of a slice of history, certainly head to the Old State House in College Hill.
As the name suggests the Governor Stephen Hopkins House was the former residence of the governor of Rhode Island Stephen Hopkins once resided in the early 1700s. Built in the 18th Century, the house was expanded from its original structure under the order of the governor himself. The house was restored in the year 1920 by Normal Isham and later came under the ownership of the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America. It is now open to the public and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as well as the National Historic Landmark.