Define localização actual
The Naka Ward Office is one of the 19 administrative offices in Yokohama City. Foreigner residents must report to the office of the ward they reside in to take care of such matters as Alien Registration, family registry, personal seal registration, and getting children enrolled in Elementary and Junior High Schools. Ward offices also administer National Health Insurance and National Pension Plans. The Naka Ward Office is also a community center that offers helpful services like a Counseling Center for Foreigner Residents, and Volunteer Interpreting Services free of charge. It also provides information on local events, such as fireworks festivals, language classes, and cultural festivals that take place in the ward.
Standing side by side on the Kannai side of Yoshidabashi Bridge are two iron monuments. One has a map of the early settlement of Yokohama on it and the other has a picture of the first iron bridge that stood here. The bridge was built in 1869 by Henry Brunton, a Scottish engineer, who was also responsible for many lighthouses in the region, the design of Yokohama Park and the layout of Nihon Odori. It was built at the request of the Kanagawa governor, and at a time when bridges were traditionally made of wood and replaced regularly, such a strong and durable construct would have been quite amazing. Across the road, standing on the now concrete bridge, is a pillar. It marks the checkpoint on Yoshida Bridge that was established soon after the opening of the port in 1859 to protect foreigners living in the settlement. -AH
The Mission to Seafarers is an international outreach organization sponsored by the Catholic Church that provides opportunities for Christian seafarers to attend mass while in port; something they cannot do at sea. In Yokohama it is located between the Osanbashi Pierand the Yokohama Stadium baseball grounds, directly opposite the Naka Ward Office. The Mission is a place for seamen to relax, play games and keep in contact with home. The Mission has a fine bar serving a good range of spirits, cocktails and beers, there is a quiet area for Seafarers to pray and write letters. The Mission also has a television with satellite and video facilities as well as a full-size snooker table and a genuine English dartboard.
Yokohama Port Opening Hall is the most beautiful building in Yokohama and was called the Jack by generations of sailors. It was completed in 1917, Jack is a Neo-renaissance structure. In the great 1923 earthquake the exterior remained standing, but the interior suffered severe damage. Two Japanese architects designed the building but they had studied under a disciple of the famous British architect Josiah Condo. The Yokohama Port Opening Hall's clock tower has become a symbol of Yokohama, with clocks on each of its four sides. The facade of the building has bands of white granite crossing the red brickwork.
Established by the Japan Newspaper Foundation for Education & culture in Yokohama. This museum houses Japan's oldest printing blocks to print a paper from the feudal/Meiji-period in book-style. Production processes are shown and so are replicas of old machines.
The monument to Yokohama Chokai-jo, which served as Yokohama's first town hall in the Meiji Era, is located inside the Yokohama Port Opening Hall. The monument, which marks the site of the Yokohama Chokai-jo, is located to the left of the stairway at the entrance to the building. The Yokohama Chokai-jo functioned as Yokohama's administrative office from the beginning of the Meiji Era in 1868 until 1889, when Yokohama became a municipality.