Define localização actual
The museum occupies the former Yokohama Specie Bank building which was built in 1904. It features a neoclassical facade with carvings designated as important cultural property. This is the place to learn about the history of Yokohama and Kanagawa, from archeology to present-day Japan. Interesting are the grotesque renditions of Commodore Matthew C. Perry and the several rare wood block prints of foreigners. The Edo period wood blocks are supplemented with panels showing pop culture, travel games and torture mechanisms! The various items provide insight into the complex relationship between Japan and other nations.
The Yokohama Kaigan Church or Kaigan Kyokai, was the first Protestant church established in Japan. American missionaries built the original church in 1872. Rev. James Ballagh, one of the most prominent clergymen in Yokohama, spearheaded the effort. The church bell was cast in 1876. The original church was destroyed in the catastrophic earthquake in 1923, but miraculously the bell survived. The current structure was rebuilt in 1933.
In March of 1854, Commodore Matthew Perry of the United States and Japanese officials met near this spot, to agree and sign the Treaty of Amity and Friendship, also known as the Kanagawa Treaty. The monument marking this treaty is a stone ball on a plinth in the plaza, which is known as Kaido Hiroba (Port Opening Square). Moreover, a small fountain stands at the center of the cobbled square, and a sign with directions and distances to various places worldwide are posted. - AH
Kanteibyo, or the Kuan Ti Miao Temple, has been the spiritual heart of Chinatown ever since it was built in 1887. Kuan Ti Miao Temple is dedicated to Kuan Yu, a mythical hero from the legendary "Tale of Three Kingdoms." During the Song Dynasty Kuan Yu was officially recognized as the "God of War". The Kuan Ti Miao Temple burned down three times: the 1923 Earthquake; WW2 bombings; and a freak fire in 1987. Somewhat miraculously the three statues inside survived each time. Rebuilt in the late 1980s, the Kuan Ti Miao Temple is the starting point for New Year parades, and is the temple where local Chinese pray for prosperity and the health and happiness of their families.
Opened in 1981, and housed in the former British Consulate, the archives building was rebuilt in 1931, after having been destroyed in the Kanto earthquake in 1923. The first floor of the Archives gives one an overview of the opening of Japan, with the coming of Commodore Perry. The second floor is used for periodic exhibits, often highlighting early foreign residents and their business. The extensive reading room has not only English language newspapers (published in Shanghai, London, Yokohama and Kobe during the treaty port years until 1923), but also rare first-edition books, mainly from the two major collections of Don Brown and Paul Blum.