Set Current Location
According to historical records, the founding of this city coincides with the building of the castle in the year 1000. The walls with houses built into them and the towers (which were also houses) are still standing in the historical center. Another type of fort was the already decaying Palazzo de Petris which of which the main arched doorway decorated with diamond-shaped ashlars can still be seen. The Church of Santa Maria Assunta from 1690, has a main doorway in stone with Baroque decorations. Inside there is one nave with lateral chapels (in a Latin cross plan) which are as Baroque as the paintings and the crucifix. In the valley on the other side of the river there is the historical monastery of S. Clemente a Casauria. From Pescara take the A25, Casauria-Torre de Passeri exit.
This church dates from 1607 and has an oval shape. The ornate facade has a distinctive, triangular front. There is a simple, classic portal. The interior has one nave with a discontinous perimeter and lateral altars. The walls are concave and there is a pulpit. There are Baroque, stucco decorations made mostly by Ambrogio Piazza in 1669. On the vault are frescoes of scenes from the book of Esther. The back wall has paintings of S. Cristoforo, and there are paintings on the altars and works of wood and a wooden choirbox. There is also a reliquary of the saint. Services: Weekdays: 8a, 6.30pm Weekends: 9a, 11a, 6.30pm.
Part of an old convent, this church dates back to the 8th Century. Between the end of the 16th Century and the beginning of the 17th it was renovated, and the facade was rebuilt around the middle of the century. A stone Madonna with Child remains from this facade from the 15th Century, which can be found in a niche above the portal that was restored in 1667. The interior has one nave, a large dome and is full of Baroque pieces, including golden cornices, stuccho and various ornaments. On the lateral altars are paintings of value, such us the Martyrdom of Santo Stefano, attributed to Taddeo Zuccari and the Madonna by Giambattista Ragazzini, from Ravenna. The wooden choirstall is by Fernando Mosca and Venanzio Bencivegna. In the chapel next door is a monumental altar in golden wood with columns.
This name comes from lucus or 'wood,' and can be explained by the presence of a temple at the back of the church, built in the 12th Century. It is said that the baptismal font on the meadow in front of the church was the cup of Orlando, head of the legendary group of paladins who liked to come here. The facade preserves its Medieval origins in the stone portal with a rounded arch. On the walls are little arches decorated with motifs. The interior has three naves separated by two rows of four columns with a central pillar. On the left pillar is a stand by Nicodemo, from 1159. It is richly decorated and surrounded by arches with four columns. Biblical scenes are painted around the structure, that is a work of stucco. On the columns along the nave are some traces of remaining frescoes. In the apse is the scene of universal judgement dating from the thirteenth century. To reach the church take the Moscufo exit at the north east, and take the right road at the crossroads. Soon after you will reach the church.