This aquarium serves as a resource for educators, students and the public on coastal Georgia marine ecosystems. Featuring exhibits on tidal creek, salt marsh, ocean environments and 14 tanks containing native species, the center is the only saltwater aquarium open to the public in Georgia. Kids can climb aboard a model shrimp boat that is part of an exhibit on the shrimp industry. Take a hike on two trails through forest and along the marsh.
Six miles southeast of Savannah is the 500-acre (202 hectare) Skidaway Island State Park, a barrier island and a perfect day-trip for the Savannah visitor wanting to get to know the natural ecology of coastal Georgia. Facilities at the park include a museum, picnic shelters, a playground and observation towers. Tent, trailer and RV sites are available for overnight camping. Two nature trails provide visitors a chance to view the spectacular environment and watch for wildlife, especially shore birds. There is a nominal charge per vehicle daily for parking.
Originally an earthen fort established during the Revolutionary War, Old Fort Jackson's brick structure was built in 1808, and was further developed between 1845 and 1860. The fort sits on the bank of the Savannah River and is surrounded by a moat. Visitors may explore the tunnel-like passageways that used to house soldiers and store ammunition and supplies. The moated forts overhead and interior cannons are the structure's prime attractions. The cannons are fired during the summer months when the site gets its maximum turnout of spectators.
A collection of model ships and maritime paintings fills this museum dedicated to the sea. Even the building has a nautical history. The William Scarborough House was built in 1819 for the president of the Savannah Steamship Company, who was responsible for building the SS Savannah, the first steamship to cross the Atlantic Ocean. A model of the Savannah is on display, as is one of a sinking Titanic and many more ships. Be sure to stroll through the beautiful garden that spans 2 acres (0.81 hectares) in area.
Wormsloe Plantation is worth a visit if only to see the welcoming mile-long driveway lined with huge live oak trees. Located approximately 10 miles (16 miles) southeast of downtown Savannah, the plantation was established in 1737 by Noble Jones, one of the first British colonists who arrived in Georgia with General James E. Oglethorpe. A plantation house built in 1828 stands at the site, as does the remains of the original house built by Noble. A museum displays artifacts.
Completed in 1820, this handsome building on Columbia Square is one of the city's finest examples of Federal architecture. Its proposed destruction in 1953 caused such a public outcry that seven local women raised over $20,000 to prevent it. The first, second and third floors of this American Federal-style house has since been restored and has opened as a museum since 1963, featuring artifacts that will educate and enrich visitors’ knowledge of Savannah and its community.
The Rail Pub is your friendly neighborhood pub next door. Tucked away in Savannah's former Red Light district, this watering hole occupies a historic 1870 building that is allegedly haunted. Don't forget to ask your wait staff about the investigated paranormal activity experienced here! This place is popular among locals during Happy Hour and on Karaoke nights. Enjoy a chilled pitcher or pint with Slim Jim, Pickled Pigs' Feet and Ghetto Dawg.
The Isaiah Davenport House is an excellent home from the 1800's that is rescued and restored in a great way. The remarkable thing about this spot is that the owner left a detailed list of furnishing, fabrics and other period pieces. The guide here makes sure to share some old pictures and artifacts to pass around. The decorative features on the ceilings and walls are amazing and most of them are original pieces that have been restored. Touring this home, you get a true sense of what it was like to live in Savannah in the early 1800's.
Opened in 1886, after wealthy art collector Mary Telfair left her estate and belongings to the Georgia Society, this is the oldest art museum in Southern territory. Made up of three buildings, with very different, but equally fascinating architecture, the art and cultural artifacts inside are not the only jewels to see. The Telfair Academy has a neo-classical design and offers a glimpse into 19th-century life. The Owens-Thomas House is a national historical landmark given to the museum in 1951. The newest 2006 Jepson Center offers a 64,000-sq. foot space, bringing modernism to the century-old museum. From art classes, to rotating and permanent collections, this museum offers visitors a chance to transport themselves in time. Visit the museum store on the way out, or even rent out space for a private party.
If it's entertainment you're looking for, this is your spot on Bay Street. Fun takes center stage, with everything from trivia on Tuesday to open mike on Thursday to karaoke on Friday and Saturday night. An expansive game room is equipped with video games and a pool table, and if hunger strikes while you're enjoying a cold one, order up a roast beef sub for only USD5 and maybe a specialty Blues House salad for USD3.75. This raucous joint has a fully stocked bar with a strong propensity for frozen cocktails.
The Harper Fowlkes House was built in 1844 for Aaron Champion, a banker from Massachusetts. Designed by architect Charles B. Clusky, the house is a shining example of the Greek Revival style. It faces Orleans Square and is distinguishable by its elaborate cast iron gates, sandstone steps, and four Corinthian-style columns. Legend has it that Champion buried his bank’s gold in a well in the garden during the Civil War, only to come back to find nothing but one ten dollar gold piece. When he left the house in 1939, it was purchased by Alida Harper-Fowlkes, who furnished the house with beautiful antiques. The Harper Fowlkes House is open to the public for tours.