This was discovered by excavators examining a succession of strata at Roman, sub-Appennine and Neolithic levels. The value of this discovery is not only related to the fact that it is over 6500 years old. It is also that the cave was not a hunting shelter like so many other archaeological finds from the same period. This cave was a sanctuary. Studies have found remains of a child sacrificed in some rite, that was probably linked to the fertility of the land. It is near Bolognano, in a rocky landscape with waterfalls and green water from the Valley of Orta.
Surrounded by rose beds and oleanders, these splendid vineyards are perfectly aligned by the hands of these expert wine growers. This noble family has been producing wine for centuries and this is in fact one of the best known wine cellars of the Salento. As you walk down the rows you can appreciate all the work that goes toward maintaining the vines: a combination of the latest technology as well as more traditional methods like those used to kill parasites which are in harmony with the surrounding habitat.
This monastery was built on the ancient Tiburtina Valeria, in an area which was popular for trade and where travelers stopped (Kasaura was the name of a nearby tavern-brothel). It is one of Italy's most significant examples of Benedictine art. Ludovico II had it built in 871; it was then improved between 1176 and 1182 by workers brought from the south. It is more significant that the monastery at Montecassino. The monks who lived here wrote the Chronicon Casauriense which is an important document for Italian history. The portico has three arches and features a sequence of ornaments and figures celebrating of the power of God, of the monastery and of the people who funded the monastery. Representations of the evangelists, the apostles and other biblical characters are featured together with patron emperors of the monastery and the abbot Leonate, who was in charge of the re-foundation in the 12th Century. The relief on the lintel explains the birth of the church.
At the foot of Maiella, surrounded by woodland is one of the most ancient proofs of the Benedictines in Abruzzo. It certainly existed since 884, but it was rebuilt after the earthquake in 990, to a more grandiose design by the monk Teobaldo. The facade is made from local stone and has semi columns. The central part is highest and there are three rounded arches and a circular window in the center. On the right is a square bell tower. The interior has three naves, with seven arches on pillars. At the beginning of the right nave are 16th-century frescoes, of San Benedetto, Carlo Magno who legend links to the Benedictine order and Bobaco Olivesi. The middle area has an opus floor and there are three semicircular apses in the presbytery. Frescoes from the twelfth or 13th Century have been found as a result of restoration in the middle apse, which were previously covered by a sixteenth century strata. The church is in San Liberatore, outside of Serramonacesca. From Piazza del Popolo take Via Roma and go to the right.
According to legend, this place was built in 1498 on the site of a miraculous apparition. The frescoed portal of the Deposition is from 1505. On the left of the portal, is another Renaissance fresco of the Virgin, Child and two Angels. On the right side are remains of an old building which could have been a cloisters. The bell tower has little windows and finishes in a pyramid shape. The interior has one nave with a cross vault, decorations and ornaments. There is an arch by the apse and the main altar was made in 1642 with a great deal of golden stucco, decorated columns, allegoric statues and a 15th-century triptych. There are also frescoes by the school of Andrea de Litio. The church is found on the road between Alanno and Cugnoli. From Alanno, take the road for Cugnoli and turn left for Torre De Passeri. After 3 kilometers (1.9 miles) you find the church.
This is one of the few examples of civil, medieval architecture in Abruzzo. It was built in the 14th Century for Giovanni Cantelmo. Built as a house-workshop for collecting and selling feudal, agricultural products, it became an inn and a hotel for people who stopped at Popoli to change horses. In 1574, Ottavio Cantelmo had a new tavern built next to this one, called the University. The old building has two floors, divided by a cornice which goes round the whole facade. The workshop was on the ground floor and had a large, pointed portal. The coat of arms of the Cantelmo family and other families are on the facade, as well as fantastic and allegorical subjects. Call for timings.
This reserve extends over an area of 2600 hectares (6425 acres) that goes from the river Orfento to Mount Focalone. The network of pathways has been purposely made to allow visitors to get to know the varied environment of the Maiella, which is a complex habitat of animals and vegetables. The reserve is well kept, as can be seen from the presence of precious species such as the dipper. An initiative by the forestry commission has created, in the visitors center, an area where otters can be observed and can reproduce. This is also the place to see roe deer, deer, eagles and hawks. Visitors need authorisation from the Majambiente Cooperative to visit the reserve. Call ahead for timings.
People have sometimes imagined that the name of this town came from the chains worn by the prisoners who were brought from Aquila. But it's really derived from Catonius which refers to a rural town. The fantasy has had its effects though, for example a there is an inscription which mentions this on the façade of the Church of S. Giovanni Battista, an unusual example of neoclassical Baroque. Near the church there is a building constructed by a noble family in the 19th century. The monastery of Santa Maria a Catignano on the town's outskirts and the rural architecture in the surrounding countryside are also worth seeing. From Pescara take the s.n. 602, or the A25 then the Chieti exit.
According to historical records, the founding of this city coincides with the building of the castle in the year 1000. The walls with houses built into them and the towers (which were also houses) are still standing in the historical center. Another type of fort was the already decaying Palazzo de Petris which of which the main arched doorway decorated with diamond-shaped ashlars can still be seen. The Church of Santa Maria Assunta from 1690, has a main doorway in stone with Baroque decorations. Inside there is one nave with lateral chapels (in a Latin cross plan) which are as Baroque as the paintings and the crucifix. In the valley on the other side of the river there is the historical monastery of S. Clemente a Casauria. From Pescara take the A25, Casauria-Torre de Passeri exit.
This town was once called Turris Passum, named after its Castle's tower which signaled a passage through the valley with fires lit at night. The town is currently a business hotspot, but also hosts artistic initiatives on a yearly basis. An annual painting exhibition, held from September to November in the Mazara-Gizzi Castle, focuses on Dante's Divine Comedy, and presents works by Botticelli, Michelangelo, Blake, Signorelli, Raffaello and others.