Global Search

Set Current Location
Join
Sign Out
user image
My Profile
Sign Out
Image
Video
https://www.youtube.com/embed/Nj-hul87IS4?rel=1

"Provincial Court Office"

Toronto's third City Hall, this magnificent Romanesque building is a fitting homage to the artistic genius and uncompromising vision of its architect, Edward James Lennox. Construction began in 1889, continuing through the next 11 years until it was finally completed in 1899. At this time, the Old City Hall was the largest municipal building in North America, housing both Toronto's city council and courthouse. While the soaring clock tower is the most definitive feature of the stately building, the striking structure is resplendently fitted with gargoyles, grotesque stonework and other intricate details typical of the Romanesque Revival style. Inside, the mosaic floors, stained glass windows, and frescoes are just a few of the details that proclaim Lennox's skill for design. Just beneath the corbels, his name was inscribed by the stonemasons where it remains to this day. Replaced by the New City Hall in 1965, the Old City Hall has been declared a National Historic Site and functions as the Provincial Courthouse.
60 Queen Street West, Toronto, ON, Canada, M5H 1A1
"Provincial Court Office"
Toronto's third City Hall, this magnificent Romanesque building is a fitting homage to the artistic genius and uncompromising vision of its architect, Edward James Lennox. Construction began in 1889, continuing through the next 11 years until it was finally completed in 1899. At this time, the Old City Hall was the largest municipal building in North America, housing both Toronto's city council and courthouse. While the soaring clock tower is the most definitive feature of the stately building, the striking structure is resplendently fitted with gargoyles, grotesque stonework and other intricate details typical of the Romanesque Revival style. Inside, the mosaic floors, stained glass windows, and frescoes are just a few of the details that proclaim Lennox's skill for design. Just beneath the corbels, his name was inscribed by the stonemasons where it remains to this day. Replaced by the New City Hall in 1965, the Old City Hall has been declared a National Historic Site and functions as the Provincial Courthouse.
Add To Collection
Similar Locations
Nearby Hotels
Nearby Restaurants & Bars
Nearby Attractions

near_similar 5|139 0 Arild Vågen^:^Rhys Wynne https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Toronto_August_2017_03.jpg^:^https://www.flickr.com/photos/benbore/170544882/ https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/^:^https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ Canada