The Guardian of Water statue is a replica of the original in San Diego, given to the city of Yokohama in 1960 as a gift from the San Diego-Yokohama Friendship Commission. It was created by the artist Donal Hord, and shows a pioneer woman carrying a water jug up on one shoulder. The statue is at the center of a fountain and is surrounded by gardens in Yamashita Park on Yokohama's waterfront. -AH
This is a cemetery in a beautiful suburban Yokohama site, which has more than 2,000 graves of British Commonwealth citizens. The area covers more than 73,000 square meters. Land for the British Commonwealth cemetery was appropriated in 1946 for the military graves at Hodogaya. The distinguishing feature is the rows and rows of predominantly plain white wooden crosses.
Enjoy spectacular aerial sights of the city as you go round the Cosmo Clock 21 Ferris Wheel. One of the cities’ most prominent landmarks and tourist attractions, the ferris wheel reaches upto a height of 112.5 meters (369.09 feet) and has a wheel diameter of 100 meters (328.08 feet). Rides last for 15 minutes and the 60 units in the ferris wheel can accommodate a total of 480 people. Besides offering a scenic ride to patrons, the ferris wheel also holds one of the world’s largest clock function at its center. If you want to enjoy some phenomenal birds’ eye view of the city of Yokohama, then certainly grab a seat on the gigantic Cosmo Clock 21 Ferris Wheel.
This bronze statue of a little girl wearing red shoes was created by Masamichi Yamamoto in 1979. It represents the child in a song called "Akai Kutsu" (Red Shoes) by Ujo Noguchi, a Japanese poet, which was based on the true story of a Japanese girl adopted by an American couple who were due to take her to America with them. However, at the last moment she was diagnosed with tuberculosis. Fearing she would not withstand the journey, she was left in a church orphanage where she died in 1911. The figure sits gazing out to sea, presumably musing over the journey and future she missed out on. -AH
The Statue of a Mother and Child of the Sun was designed by the sculptor, Shin Hongo and built in 1976 by the Kanagawa Chapter of the Japan Ice Cream Association. It is positioned opposite the real location of the first ice cream shop in Japan, started by Fusazo Machida who was a member of the first delegation to visit the United States of America. He was so impressed when he tasted ice cream that on his return he opened a shop called Hyousuiten (shop for iced water). For the first ten years of business, Machida had to bring natural ice from Hokkaido for his handmade ice cream process. -AH
Minamoto no Yoritomo was the first shogun of the Kamakura shogunate, and as such holds an important place in Kamakura's history. He raised an army against the Taira Clan, which had slain his father. The monument that marks his grave was built in the Edo period, at least 400 years after his death, so it unknown whether his remains are included in the Buddhist stone stupa and fenced area of sacred soil. When Yoritomo died in 1199 he was buried in his own temple, Hokkedo, which was later destroyed, moved and rebuilt. Traces of it remain on the hillside. -AH
On the corner of a street very close to the BayStars monument, you'll find an engraved stone monument with a metal etching of an Edison-type generator. This monument commemorates the coal-fired power plant that used to be on this site. The plant was built by the Yokohama Kyodo Electric Light Company. It began supplying electricity to 700 houses in the city in 1890. -AH
The stone monument in Yokohama Park is a reminder that Yokohama Park was the first such park opened in Japan for the use of both foreigners and Japanese. It was designed by Richard Henry Brunton, a Scottish engineer (his statue also stands in the park), after fire destroyed the area in 1866. The park was opened in 1871 and included a cricket ground. In 1923, the park provided a refuge to people after the Great Kanto Earthquake and in 1929 a baseball stadium was built. The current stadium was opened in 1978.
This large copper etching on the wall shows a cheering BayStars team. It is surrounded by the hand prints of the team and commemorates 1998, the year the Yokohama BayStars won the Japanese Baseball Grand Championships. This part of the street is nicknamed BayStars Street. -AH
Standing side by side on the Kannai side of Yoshidabashi Bridge are two iron monuments. One has a map of the early settlement of Yokohama on it and the other has a picture of the first iron bridge that stood here. The bridge was built in 1869 by Henry Brunton, a Scottish engineer, who was also responsible for many lighthouses in the region, the design of Yokohama Park and the layout of Nihon Odori. It was built at the request of the Kanagawa governor, and at a time when bridges were traditionally made of wood and replaced regularly, such a strong and durable construct would have been quite amazing. Across the road, standing on the now concrete bridge, is a pillar. It marks the checkpoint on Yoshida Bridge that was established soon after the opening of the port in 1859 to protect foreigners living in the settlement. -AH
Outside the Yokohama District Public Prosecutors Office on the Nihon Odori crossing is a stone monument with an electric wave pattern etched on it. This stone commemorates the first instance of successful telegraphing in Japan, which was over a distance of 2200 feet (670 meters) between the present Kanagawa District Court and the Yokohama Coast Guard Headquarters in 1869. The following year, telegraph lines were completed between Yokohama and Tokyo and a telegraph service was started. However, the lines were often cut or poles pulled down as the process was not understood and was called "black magic." This monument was erected in 1963 by the Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Public Corporation, along with another in Tokyo. -AH
This metallic monument resembling an early camera outside Gold's Gym on Bashamichi is a tribute to Renjo Shimo-oka, who set up a photography studio here after learning the skills of photography from Henry Heusken, a Dutchman and interpreter for the first US Ambassador to Japan. Shimo-oka photographed the SS America, which caught fire while berthed in Yokohama and experimented with night photography. Shimo-oka's first studio was in Noge. He moved to this site in 1868. -AH